Wednesday, March 24, 2010

3 Nephi 12 ~ Student Teachers

Seminary was great today!  I was a little apprehensive about today but the inspiration I received while preparing this lesson was just exactly what I needed to do. 

Spring break begins after school on Friday and so the kids are getting so restless.  It is a challenge to teach and keep them engaged in it.  So this is what we did today.

We are on 3 Nephi 12.  I divided the chapter up into three parts and then three groups of kids.  I gave each group a portion of the chapter.  They had 15 minutes to develop a 5 minute lesson around their assigned scritpures. 

Group 1 had the Sermon on the Mount from verses 1-12
Group 2 had the Salt and the Candle from verses 13-16
Group 3 had love thy neighbor and perfection from verses 37-48

They did an amazing job!  I became the student, they became the teachers.  I helped them very little!  I saw their perspective on these scriptures and it was really fun. 

One of the boys (Cooper L.)  in group 3 talked about perfection but then also brought in the scriptures about being a peacemaker.  He said that finally (he had been praying for an answer to this question) after reading this scripture (vs. 39) and doing this lesson he understood - received the answer to his prayers about fighting.  He has had many of his friends ask him if members of the church are allowed to fight.  He said now he understands!  I love it!  Now he understands!  Now his prayer is answered!  He seached the scriptures and found the answer!!!  Isn't that what it is all about.  Finding the answers ~ searching the scriptures ~ having the spirit tell you that you found the answer! 

These kids are amazing.  I am blessed to rub shoulders with them everyday.  They have insights into the scriptures that are exciting for me to hear about every morning.  They try so hard to do what is right and good and to be good examples. 

I said the closing prayer and asked Heavenly Father to bless them for their diligence and to protect them from the evil influences around them every day.  I know He will protect them today.  I am grateful!

1 comment: