Thursday, September 24, 2009

Are you a Laman and Lemuel or a Nephi and Sam

Today the kids had to look at a picture with hidden pictures - you know the ones. I just gave them the picture - asked them what they saw. Then I gave them a list of the hidden pictures they had to find.

Then we talked about the difference in how Laman and Lemuel viewed the wilderness experience and how Nephi and Sam viewed it. We read 1 Nephi 17:20-21 for Laman/Lemuel's take on it - then compared that with 1 Nephi 17:1-3 which is Nephi's take on it. The exact same experience with much different outcomes. We talked about how murmuring just prolongs your "pity party".

And we talked about 1 Nephi 17:45. Why couldn't Laman and Lemuel believe as Nephi - because according to verse 45 they were "...Swift to do iniquity but slow to remember the Lord your God...ye were past feeling..."

I ask you - ARE YOU A LAMAN AND A LEMUEL OR ARE YOU A NEPHI? Something for you to ponder today...

One more assignment - search verses 1 & 2 then see the lesson learned in verse 3 (chapter 17) "Thus we see" in the scriptures means a lesson is taught and learned. Let me know what you discover!

Tomorrow..."Can you hear the still small voice or are you in a spiritual dead zone" - complete with my very own Mormon Ad!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this! I love that you have done this with your blog. It has helped me so much in focusing my days around the gospel. I can feel like I am in seminary again...when i am not :)

    Here is what I learned: Nephi (in a later chapter) asks us to liken the scriptures to us and our everyday situation. To me, the journey that they have taken in Chapter 17 is much like our journey in life. We to are required to "wade thru much affliction" in each of our wildernesses (if that is a word...ha ha!) Can you imagine what the wording of the next two versus would be if Laman and Lemuel had been called to record their journey??? I am sure it would have started with - THIS SUCKS! :)

    If we listen to the Lord, keep His commandments, and keep our journey towards Him - then just as he provided the way for them, we too can see that he provides the way for us. Sometimes it is hard to see our path amidst all the over-growth that we let in to cover our eyes, but when we clear away the brush and cobwebs - the gospel is GLORIOUS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! This will open a fabulous discussion for Jo and I tomorrow. And don't ya just LOVE Christy!! I am so blessed to have such good examples in my life. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete