Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Iron Rod part 2

So today we talked about their experience with their Iron Rods yesterday. We had a great discussion about the reaction of their school mates when they would tell them what the rod stood for. Some of their friends thought it was a pencil, some an eraser. Some of the teachers made them put them away. I asked them if it was a hard experiment. Selena said not as hard as she thought it would be. Lexi had conversations on the bus. Some of the acquaintances responded with "I didn't know you were a mormon"! What a great lead in to our discussion about example.

I told them that now those people know that they are mormons and they WILL be watched. We talked about how now that people know they are a mormon those people will be watching to see if they do something that mormons aren't supposed to do (according to their knowledge). They will watch to see if Tayler or Lexi or Cooper or any one of the kids do something - and they will think - if she does it then it must be okay and I will do it.

I think overall it was a great experience for them. I hope it is something they will remember for their lifetime. Today we talked about repentance being the way to grasp ahold of the rod if you let go.

The spirit was there at the end of the class as I bore my testimony of my knowledge of the Savior and the love he has for those incredible kids who try so hard to do what is right. And as I bore testimony of the power of the Atonement and how I know in a very real and personal way how the Atonement changes lives! How grateful I am for the hard things that I had to suffer to gain the testimony that I have today of the Atonement.

Tomorrow will be a Scripture Mastery day complete with donuts :)

1 comment:

  1. I want to be in your class. Jo and I do OK but it is limiting with one pupil...in my opinion. You are so fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete